We are trying to plan a family vacation (Caribbean crusie) for Feb 2005 for Mom's 60th Birthday. We would like to make it a surprise (shhhh don't anyone tell). We are a family of 8 adults & 2 children (ages 3 & 6 by next Feb). We are all first-time cruisers. So the big questions are:
1. Which cruise line & ship? We are leaning towards RCCL, Princess, or NCL due to the little bit of research we have done on the internet. We don't want to spend an arm & a leg, but we do these family vacations only once every 6-7 years, so a little bit of a splurge is ok. We want to make sure that we are not catering just to the kids or just to the adults.
2. Eastern vs. Western? Our last family vacation was to Cancun in 1998, so do we go Eastern b/c we've seen that part of Mexico already?
3. The one couple with the kids, what what room size is necessary
4. Is our group big enough for a group rate?
5. How exactly do extra charges on these cruise lines work? I understand the excursions, but how much on average are soft drinks? Alcoholic Drinks? Coffee? Is there some sort of drink card for the week? Other things not included in the price of the cruise?
Anyway, maybe they are not all big questions, but it would be nice to have some input from people who have been on cruises & specifically with little ones.
Thanks so much for any of your advice