View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Parents of teens - how much freedom?

pg wrote: Wow, Do all you parents who let your kids have 1 am curfews do that at home? I guess I can see it with a teen over 16, but I think that is very late for the younger teens.
I know it's a vacation, but isn't 10 or 11 late enough for a 12- 15 yr old?
'My son is almost 14and there is no way I'd let him wander the ship till 1 am. What earth would they be doing, plus they would be hanging out with much older kids.
Another important factor is kids sleeping in till noon, when in port, what a WASTE! I guess on sea days it's not such a big factor, then I'd be more lenient, but I still say they can sit in their cabin and watch a movie,after say, 11.
Am I that old fashioned or what??

We recently got back from Alaska. Our kids are 13 and 14. Originally, I had set an 11 o'clock curfew, but our ship really did have structured activities for that age group until 1:30, so I loosened up. I must admit, I was very anxious about it, and I was uncomfortable not knowing where they were so late, so we bought a stack of stickipads. After 10:00, they needed to let me know where they were. If they couldn't find us, they were to leave a note on a sticky pad, attached to the television. Similarly, I left notes for them about where to find us, or any special directions (like "Meet us at the buffet at 12:00 midnight!")

We never had trouble finding them when we wanted them. An added benefit was that my son, who tends to be a bit shy, had a great time with his group of friends, who he often didn't get to see during the day, because they were off doing things with their parents.

Sheila

Carnival Legend, Western Carribean