View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Parents of teens - how much freedom?

OK, I'm a 16 year old teen girl. I'm very practical, responsible, etc. A good kid. But I'm not a prissy dork either, so what I'm saying should apply to most of your kids, if that makes any sense.

I went on a cruise when I was 14. My parents, who give me a midnight curfew at home, allowed me to stay out until 2. They are neither over protective nor completely lax ( example- they gave their 14 year old daughter a 2am curfew, but still punished her when she disobeyed it one night). Even though I hung out with older kids who were allowed to stay out even later than me, on most nights, I wasn't missing much by going in at 2. By the time the disco closes, we are just hanging around and talking.

The earliest curfew I'd recommend for a kid over 14 would be 1. 2 or 3 would probably be more realistic. I know this may be hard to accept for parents, but think about it. Your kid will most likely be "hanging out." You may as well earn points with him/her by giving a late curfew because it's not like they are going to get in a car with a drunk driver or something. Trust me, they'll love you for it and you'll llook like Mr. Cool because you let them stay out late, even though they probably aren't even doing anything bad.

In response to stuff&things, all I have to say is good luck. Some of your conditions, such as check in times, and dinner and ports with family are realistic. However, giving kids RULES about not going in other cabins, not giving out personal information, 11 pm curfew might not go over so well. How are you planning on enforcing that? If my parents told me that, I would just roll my eyes/ get POed. Sure, they might come in at 11 like you tell them to, but unless none of their friends are allowed to stay out late either (which may be the case if they only hang out with the kids in your group, but I doubt that) they will be pretty cranky with you.

BASIC FORMULA- DINNER AND MAYBE BREAKFAST WITH FAMILY+ EXCURSIONS WITH FAMILY+ CHECK-INS A FEW TIMES A DAY+ A 1-3 AM CURFEW= HAPPY TEEN=HAPPY PARENTS.