View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Marnie L.

Default Re: Alaska cruisetour Aug/06, 50+ fem. seeks cruisemate

Hello Francine.

No, I haven't booked a ship yet. Since Holland America is the only one who has a Singles Share program, that's so far what I've been looking at, but that's for the cruise only. I didn't like the landtours HAL offered so have been investigating Alaskatravel.com and came up with one that pretty much covers what I'd like to do. If I can find a travel partner for the landtour, it would really help out for expenses--Alaska hotels are between $150 to $200 a night! If you're just interested in doing the landtour portion, we could meet up in Seward (HAL will find me a singles partner for the cruise if I need one), or do the cruise plus landtour together.

Itinerary (nothing set in stone as of yet): Holland America Statendam 7-day cruise departing Vancouver Friday, August 11, 2006. Ports of call: Ketchikan, Icy Strait, Juneau and Sitka. Also 4 hours cruising the gigantic Hubbard Glacier. Arrive Seward Friday, August 18 at 8 a.m. Take in SeaLife Center and 6 hour Kenai Fjords wildlife/glacier cruise (I took this last time and can't wait to go again!). Hope to squeeze in Exit Glacier too (extra). Saturday: coach to Talkeetna with a stop in Anchorage along the way. Sunday: morning free (not for long!), afternoon McKinley Horse Drawn Wagon Ride, then coach to Denali Park. Monday: 12-hour Kantishna bus tour of Denali Park. Possibly Dinner Theatre in the evening (extra). Tuesday: Rafting Whitewater Run, then railroad to Fairbanks. Wednesday: Riverboat Discovery Paddlewheel cruise, and I've added El Dorado Gold Mine tour and if I can squeeze it in, a tour of a Sled Dog kennel. Plan to leave on the 1 am flight for home.

On the other hand, if I have someone to share expenses, we could fly to Anchorage and stay a day or two there and rent a car on our own. I spent a few days in Anchorage in 1998 and covered everything I really wanted to see, but fell in love with the city and wouldn't mind at all spending more time there. Assuming we still have the energy to stand!

Whew! Do I like to keep busy or am I crazy? Probably both, !

So now you know my plans. If you're still interested, perhaps you can tell me what things YOU are hoping to do in Alaska. I gather hubby is okay with your traveling without him.? BTW, I'm in Winnipeg, Canada. Where do you live?