View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: tipping - spinoff

I have to throw my 2 cents in (surprise surprise!)

I think we should look at the service issue as an overall ship issue. I mean to say that the waiter makes less and has worse conditions etc compared to the officers - well, like in any organization, maybe the person on the floor doing the most physical work is paid less than the C.E.O. who golfs for the day. But, like any organization, the exec makes a decision trying to putt from the fringe or gains or cements a client while doing so, that is worth a lot more to every worker in that company. That is also why he/she gets paid more. Society puts a much higher value on every minute of that persons time than the person doing a different job. That's just the way it is. The head waiter (or similar) also has much greater accountability and responsibility to make sure your waiter does what he/she does.

This may not be directly relevant to our discussion, but is relevant to gain a greater sense of how things work.

banker
(PS- this explanation works for me when my wife complains that she works harder than I do while I've been golfing all day)