Thread: Motion Sickness
View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2000, 01:30 PM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Default RE: Motion Sickness

Hi Alicia!

Most of my recommendations would be anecdotal, but....

First, try taking one-half of the recommended dosage of Bonine. I had success controlling motion sickness taking a half-tablet of Bonine about two hours before bedtime. Bonine can had a long effect, so one dose a day may take care of it. (If not, take half doses at 12 hour intervals).

If that still makes you sleepy, you can try using the ginger capsules. Some people don't like the taste that ginger leaves in the mouth, but it's better than the alternative.

Now, for an unofficial recommendation or two (these are based on some educated reasoning):

Since Dramamine and Bonine are both related to antihistamine drugs, it might make some sense that the prescription antihistamine products, Allegra or Claritin, may elicit a similar response to motion sickness. I can't ethically or legally recommend using these products for treating motion sickness, but I can tell you that it might be worth discussing with your doctor. And most definitely, trust your doctor's judgement on this.

You might also try the acid secretion blockers like Zantac or Tagamet, however, these are highly selective antihistaminic drug, working only on acid secretion in the stomach. These won't help the root cause of motion sickness (vestibular disturbances in the inner ear).

So, now that I've really overstepped the bounds of good pharmacy practice, I'd better quit while I still have some credibility left.

Happy cruising!

John burns, R.Ph.