View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Roatan & Belize City

Hi susus, I just got back from my first cruise and you will find this site EXTREMELY helpful in answering any and all questions. I sailed last month on the Paradise and our first two stops were Belize and Roatan. First off, these are two very new ports and are undeveloped. Best to have a tour (either from the ship or privately. We booked a city and Altun Ha tour (mayan ruins) in Belize with a private company - sorry I don't remember exact name or website, I think it was something like cbelize.com. They were excellent! My friend and I were in a van with 4 other people and a guide who was excellent. Toured the ruins and general area (and gave valuable info regarding the area). I think it was about $50 for a 4 hour tour. The thing to keep in mind is that even if you don't have something booked ahead of time, all of the tour companies are there on the dock when you arrive and they will all try to sell you a tour. You could probably negotiate a good deal. We booked ahead of time and they were there to meet us. In Roatan, it's a little different. There were no formal tour companies to greet you, but there were many private "taxi drivers" willing to take you around for the day. My friend and I booked a tour from the ship (West Side Island tour) and it was awful! We saw nothing of interest and it was expensive ($45 each). Our two friends got off the ship and hired a driver who showed them the whole island for $20 for the day! Things may change by January though, because when we went to Roatan in Sept. they said that they get one cruise ship every two weeks. But as of October, this would be increasing. So, perhaps more ships will mean increased tourism things by the time January rolls around. Also, you can search the web by typing in "Belize tour companies" or the same for Roatan. Good luck. Hope this helps.