View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Don't take my tips for granted

See, its posts like Bridgettes that miss the point completely. Renee started off by laying out the standard definition of a tip. Check a few different dictionaries and its basically the same. So far, she'd said nothing false.

Actually, I didn't see anything untrue or "classless" about the post. High pressure/guilt tactics don't help the situation. Personally, I don't care how much they are paid, if its a tip its a gift. Not a salary supplement. It should not be expected nor demanded.

Bridgette admits that the staff willingly sign on for these jobs. Poverty in ones home country makes their personal story more pitiable, but it doesn't change the fact that we should bestow our gifts as we see fit.

How do you feel when you get in a cab, the fare is $4 & you give the driver a $20. He then hands you a $5 & a $10 saying he doesn't have change. Whether you wanted to tip or not, he has made the decision for you. How about when you eat out and the change is less than $5 so the server doesn't give it back. Give me ALL my change & I will decide what I want to give or not. That's what I read in Renee's post. That is how I feel. Automatic tipping is worse than the cabbie's or server's act. Its presumptious and it irks me.

If you have a problem with it, get over it quick. The person cleaning the room is doing his JOB, not a favor for me. Now, when/if he does something special for me, the GIFT is bestowed. Sure, I guess we'd all like to show up to work & get tipped just for being there. But, it doesn't work like that.