View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:24 PM
HeySailor

Default Re: Protest of Automatic Tips...

I am mystified by this powerful dislike of automatic tipping. If you don't like it, take it off your bill and tip at will. Why try to prevent those of us who love it from having access to this service? The vast majority of folks leave this item on their bill, from what I understand.

As for writing a thank-you note, that's a great idea, but keep in mind those comment cards and other feedback already are what get individual crew members promoted--and fired. There's incentive for good service even with automatic tipping. Just like in any other (non-tipping) job, if you're the subject of enough complaints from customers, or if your supervisor catches you screwing up too many times, your contract isn't renewed. That's pretty simple.

I know that for some people, it's not the automatic nature of the tipping that's the problem, but the amount, which they evidently feel is too high. From extensive conversations with crew members at all levels, I've learned they generally work from 5 or 6 in the morning to between 10 p.m. and midnight, with several hours off during the day. That's seven days a week, 365 days a year, with only one month to a month and a half off (all in one chunk). I think back on the hundreds of little things these folks did, unasked, for me during a week's time. Is $10 a day really too much for that? If I were tipping them individually, I'd leave far more than that--and I do, for great room stewards.

Snaps to wallie5446 for his/her very witty post.