View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM
LKL

Default Re: what if you just don't tip

Well, Donald White, apparently other people still want to talk about this subject. Just because you started it doesn't mean that you can stop it.

I do tip, but I resent it, and I'll tell you why. Restaurants, cruise ships and any other place where it is "customary" to tip, should pay their employees a decent wage. I would rather see these wages reflected in the price of a meal or a cruise than to be hounded and nickeled and dimed to death. Let's get it out in the open. It's all the same in the end and I don't have to worry about it. I abhor the ugliness of having someone on a cruise telling me a sob story about how many hours, how hard they work and how little they are paid. I'm on vacation. I don't want to feel guilty. I feel guilty all the time as it is. I don't want to screw with envelopes and going to the purser's desk for cash to put in them, then having to run down and "bestow" them on some poor soul in the grand manner of a benefactor.

And another thing. When someone is clearly working for tips, they tend to badger you at poolside. I have been run off the deck before because as many as five different bar waiters were constantly interupting while I tried to meditate or read. And I hate it when I step out of my room for fifteen minutes and come back and my room is being straightened for the twentieth time. I want good service, but I also want unobtrusive service.

I'm always nice, I always tip, but I find it annoying.