View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: lets try this again--a thank you gift for cabin steward

I know we're getting off topic with "Teacher Gifts" but my wife and I are both teachers. I teach High school the rare gift I get usually involves home made cookies from female students. God Bless 'em!! The bride teaches second grade though, and has for 18 years. Like someone else said, there are only so many wooden apples inscribed with #1 Teacher you can use. She often will get gifts that are rather expensive but just don't fit the style of our home. All these things go into a box and we take them to our church's silent Auction/ Shrimp Boil every summer. Occasionally, the room mom will get with other parents and they all chip in to buy a rather large gift card and a fancy local restaurant. She usually shares this with her favorite husband of thirty years (last week.!)
I actually had a letter published in "Hints From Heloise" column last fall suggesting the gift cards for teachers instead of the knick-knack gifts.
The point is, to give the cabin stewards something useful and not something they will have to pack away or store in their tiny cabins.