View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to skyeofthestorm
Default Highly Recommend Passion Island excursion

The 5-hour Carnival Passion Island excursion ($75) is totally worth it if you don't want to be towel-edge to towel-edge on the public beaches with so many other tourists. I was there in August 2005. There is an open bar and all you can eat grilled fish and chicken and the best mole and guacamole I have ever eaten. There are also a few open air shops right there on the beach as well as hammocks in the shade and restrooms (which I didn't need to use and so can't comment on). The formed plastic lounge chairs were not that comfortable but I didn't spend that long in mine. It is a private island so there is no other way to go there except through an excursion, hence they arrange the ferries so that there are never more than a couple hundred people on the whole island at any one time, which is great. Including the transfers, open bar, and all you can eat, you get your money's worth. Be sure to leave your driver and your guide tips because this is the only thing not included in your ticket price -- I suggest $2-5/each per person in your group. That is little enough considering what it means to their income and how graciously they do their jobs to entertain us while we relax and vacation in their country. Our guide was Alex and he learned everyone in our entire 50+ person excursion by name upon introduction and was really outstanding. It takes 45 min. via coach and ferry to get from Punta Lagorda pier in downtown Cozumel to your lounge chair on Passion Island's gorgeous beach, so you end up with about three free hours there on this tour. One honeymoon couple that was in our excursion group wanted to say longer and arranged to take a later ferry back so I know this is possible if you make a special request. There is no good snorkling here but great swimming with a clear sandy bottom and no waves. I am not a strong swimmer and I was confident going way out by myself because it was so calm. Now I've also heard that Paradise Beach in Cozumel is another superior beach choice where you can get more for your money in terms of food and activities but of course it may be alot more crowded also since it is public. Passion Island is about serenity and escape, not activities per se. And it's not just for couples! I was there as a single travelling by myself and had a wonderful time. ***By the way, Isla Pasion is one of the beaches where the famous "escape from the ordinary" Corona beer commercials are filmed.*** Bon voyage and have a great visit to Passion Island - you will never forget it!!
Sponsored Links