View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene
Hi Ginnie,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this is my third cruise and just love it. The first thing I noticed when I had a partner to go with was how nice it was for each of us to do our own thing and that it could be okay going alone. I consider myself an outgoing person and like to meet people, so I think I will have a great time. I think the time when I will feel alone is the traveling from Edmonton (where I live) to Toronto, then from Toronto to San Juan and spending the night there. When I board the ship, I will just know I will be better. Thanks for your encouraging words - looking forward to the adventure.

Rene
Rene,

I know exactly what you mean. I was fortunate enough to be able to take this past summer off from work and travel--the Alaska cruise was just one of the trips I took. The hardest part was getting stuck next to a guy on a 5-hour flight back from Hawaii who was just odd. I don't know if you are comfortable having dinner on your own but if you are, believe it or not, it is a great way to meet people. I have had great conversations with the wait staff and other diners (usually other travelers) when having dinner on my own--not all the time, of course, but often enough. The wait staff are great sources for things to do to fill your time, as are other travelers. When at a really nice restaurant in DC I was asked if I would be willing to share a table with another "single." The other single was much further up the list than I was so the wait would be much shorter; I agreed. The other single was a guy traveling on business; it was one of the most memorable dinners I've ever had. And, no, there was no hanky panky, just a really pleasant conversation with a very nice guy.

Needless to say, as a woman traveling on her own, you must be security conscious and if you feel anything amiss, walk away. But I have found these brief exchanges with other travelers, hotel and wait staff, etc. to have brightened my day and made the actual traveling less of a chore and I've learned some amazing stuff.

I'd love to hear how your trip/cruise goes. My next cruise isn't until the end of September, so I'll just have to live vicarious through you until then!

Ginnie