View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Admiral

My sisters, sister-in-laws, and nieces all gather for Thanksgiving at one sister's lake house. They cook all day and plan for Friday's shopping spree. Thanksgiving is spent gathered around the coffee table, maps spread out with red push pins all over marking the stores, yellow push pins mark the alternate stores if the main stores are blocked. Men are not allowed in the room and football is relegated to a back bedroom. Snacks and drinks are brought in and placed strategically around the coffee table. They plan. They plot. They list. They take no prisoners. If the phone rings it is ripped off the wall and thrown in the lake.

Assistants bring them updates on sales. One is on the computer watching the latest in gadgetry, hot items, cool shoes and what-nots. This is not a day for headaches, PMS, or bad hair days.

On Friday, they pick up the rented van at 6:04 a.m. One is designated as the driver, one is designated as the map reader, one is designated as the coordinator, one is designated as the financial advisor, one is designated as the fuel gauge watcher. They are each cross trained in the other areas so if one goes down the mission continues seamlessly.

There are timelines to meet. Must be out of the outlet mall by 10:24 a.m. to get to the next mall by 11:00 a.m. to catch the one-half hour manager's sale before lunch. It will take 13 minutes to find the correct size, red and white, wool sweater for Aunt Mable.

This is war! Every soldier on this team must perform their duties flawlessly for the battalion to succeed. And it will succeed. If a soldier goes down with injury, the battallion just drags the body out of the way and the fight goes on. Injuries will be dealt with later.

Regards,
Thomas