View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: I'm looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqmam
We're looking to do 3 nights on land first and 7 nights on a cruise. Is Anchorage a good place to start? We're looking at the month of August. I've read that's a good month for weather and whale watching. What about Fog? Are there certain times of the year that fog interferes with the view? Pricewise, what are the best months?
Fog can happen any time, but most often in September and the late season cruises. It is sad, because a clear day you can see a lot of land going by, but on fogged in days you see nothing. Worth paying extra to go peak season. Still a gamble, though.

I'm guessing we'd depart from Anchorage and sail to Vancouver. I believe most itineraries include Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, College Fjord, Glacier Bay National Park. Would we be missing anything by choosing this itinerary? [/quote]

Those are the most common highlights - lots to see there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqmam
We are also interested in cruiseline that doesn't require the formal dress code. We're going for the sights, so I imagine our days will be fairly busy, just looking for casual evenings. The boys particularly want to be able to wear cotton pants and shirts in the evenings. If we miss the evening shows, that's no big deal to us. And we don't care about gourmet dining. I know that's the tradition of cruising, but we're only choosing a cruise because I understand it's the best way to see Alaska.
NCL is the most casual, but Carnival and Princess would also be pretty casual and if you don't feel like drssing up at all you can go to casual restaurants for dinner.

So basically, I'm looking for advice in every area.

Thanks [/quote]