View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise99
I wish all the cruiselines would follow NCL's example and make formal night optional. There's no reason why those who wish to dress formally and those who don't can't co-exist on the same ship without one group being relegated to a buffet or other inferior dining alternative.

I think it is heading that way anyway, at least unofficially, as more and more people decide to forego the formalwear in favor of more casual attire. On my last Celebrity cruise, on formal night there were many people dressed to the nines, but there were also many others wearing dressy-casual (including myself). Both co-existed peacefully and I didn't see anyone being turned away at the door.
Each cruiseline has its own niche. Some people love to dress up and would avoid a cruiseline that does not have a dress requirement. There is enough cruiselines out there that there is a cruiseline for everyone. Celebrity meets our standards for a vacation. We enjoy fine dining in an elegant atmosphere and formal occasions.
Celebrity has relaxed its dress codes from when we first cruised. Back in the early 90's, there was only one casual night, 2 formal, and 4 "semi-formal" nights on a 7 day cruise. The first and last night were semi-formal, with the casual night being the night they held the fruit & sherbert buffet poolside mid cruise. We were disappointed when they changed to more casual nights even though we could understand the reasoning for the first and last night being casual.
Outside of my Celebrity 2 day cruise, I have not noticed a decline in those following the dress code on my Celebrity cruises. And on one of my Celebrity cruises, I have seen some turned away at the theater who changed after dinner.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07