View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Admiral

luv2cruise99,

I'm guessing that only a small fraction care enough about dress code to write anything on the comment card. I would also strongly suspect that for every comment complaining about the dress code not being enforced, there's another comment stating the desire not to have a formal night at all. Only people who feel strongly one way or the other would write anything and I'm guessing that's only a small percentage of total passengers and pretty much evens itself out.

Of course all of the above are only guesses on my part, but since dress has been getting more casual and enforcement more lax, it doesn't seem like there is a mass comment card revolution going on. If there is, the cruiselines aren't listening.

Across all cruise lines, your comment probably is accurate, but I doubt that such comments are distributed uniformly both ways across all cruise lines.

>> 1. Celebrity has cultivated an "upscale" image and built vessels with formal styling that tend to attract a higher percentage of passengers who like the more formal style that you dislike. Some of these people may well be "snobs" who feel superior to others because they dress up in fancy duds and you don't want to be around those whom they view as "riffraff" because they won't dress properly, but the fact remaisn that such individuals are a whole lot more likey to cruise with Celebrity than with Carnival, or even with Royal Caribbean.

>> 2. As I have stated in other posts, many passengers on Celebrity dress well beyond the "suggested" dress on informal and casual evenings. That also suggests a high percentage of passengers who like to dress up and who chericsh the atmosphere provided by everybody doing so.

>> 3. There's also the reality that Celebrity has not followed the lead of Princess and other cruise lines in abandoning the tradition of "semiformal" or "informal" evenings. If anything, this tends to draw passengers who relish the dress-up evenings to Celebrity while pushing those who don't like dress-up evenings toward Royal Caribbean and other lines.

If Celebrity has a higher fraction of passengers who relish dressing up and a lower fraction of those who don't than other lines, it's reasonable to expect that Celebrity would receive disproportionately more comments in favor of the dress-up evenings. In fact, Celebrity probably gets a fair number of comments suggesting a return to semiformal evenings rather than informal evenings!

This also might explain the efforts to enforce dress codes that quite a few posters have reported on this discussoin board.

Personally, I don't choose a cruise line because it prescribes a particular standard of dress, but I do believe that every cruise line should enforce its own rules. Human nature is such that laxity of enforcemetn of some rules leads people to think that the rules don't matter because nobdoy will enforce them, so they begin to flaunt other rules and instructions from the crew as well. Before long, this becomes a fundamental safety issue when somebody flaunts the rules in a way that causes serious injury or death -- and there are enough potential hazarda aboard any ship for something like that to happen.

Norm.