View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your point is well taken, however I don't think that the majority of cruisers know or care that Celebrity is "supposed" to be more formal. Most people don't spend time researching dress codes on message boards prior to booking a cruise, rather they choose a cruiseline based on other factors such as itinerary, price and availability.

If you read Celebrity's own documentation (website, brochures, etc.) there isn't much that would lead you to believe that their formal night is any more formal than the formal night on any other line. Yes, they do still have informal nights, whereas other lines have moved towards only having formal and casual nights, but their description of formal reads pretty much the same as all the others.

I know my cruises on Celebrity didn't seem any more formal than on Princess. Informal nights looked alot like Princess' "smart casual". I don't think many people realized there was supposed to be a difference. Formal nights on both cruiselines were pretty much the same with a wide variety of dress from ultra-formal to dressy casual.

I just didn't see this higher level of formality that you speak of. In fact, I had already taken two Celebrity cruises (as well as several on Princess and Carnival) before I discovered these message boards and learned that Celebrity was supposed to be more formal. It was news to me!

And apparently Celebrity's marketing still hasn't gotten the message across because I have three co-workers who booked their first cruises this year (one on Celebrity) and none of them had a clue that their was supposed to be a difference between cruiselines. They all say they booked because of itinerary and price. One couldn't even tell me which cruiseline she was booked on! She said she had to check with her travel agent because she couldn't remember! For better or worse, I think a wide majority of people look at all the mainstream lines as being pretty much the same.

In any case, it still would seem that Celebrity either isn't receiving the comments or isn't listening becuase dress is still getting more casual and enforcement more lax (which I consider a good thing, but I know many people do not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Across all cruise lines, your comment probably is accurate, but I doubt that such comments are distributed uniformly both ways across all cruise lines.

>> 1. Celebrity has cultivated an "upscale" image and built vessels with formal styling that tend to attract a higher percentage of passengers who like the more formal style that you dislike. Some of these people may well be "snobs" who feel superior to others because they dress up in fancy duds and you don't want to be around those whom they view as "riffraff" because they won't dress properly, but the fact remaisn that such individuals are a whole lot more likey to cruise with Celebrity than with Carnival, or even with Royal Caribbean.

>> 2. As I have stated in other posts, many passengers on Celebrity dress well beyond the "suggested" dress on informal and casual evenings. That also suggests a high percentage of passengers who like to dress up and who chericsh the atmosphere provided by everybody doing so.

>> 3. There's also the reality that Celebrity has not followed the lead of Princess and other cruise lines in abandoning the tradition of "semiformal" or "informal" evenings. If anything, this tends to draw passengers who relish the dress-up evenings to Celebrity while pushing those who don't like dress-up evenings toward Royal Caribbean and other lines.

If Celebrity has a higher fraction of passengers who relish dressing up and a lower fraction of those who don't than other lines, it's reasonable to expect that Celebrity would receive disproportionately more comments in favor of the dress-up evenings. In fact, Celebrity probably gets a fair number of comments suggesting a return to semiformal evenings rather than informal evenings!

This also might explain the efforts to enforce dress codes that quite a few posters have reported on this discussoin board.

Personally, I don't choose a cruise line because it prescribes a particular standard of dress, but I do believe that every cruise line should enforce its own rules. Human nature is such that laxity of enforcemetn of some rules leads people to think that the rules don't matter because nobdoy will enforce them, so they begin to flaunt other rules and instructions from the crew as well. Before long, this becomes a fundamental safety issue when somebody flaunts the rules in a way that causes serious injury or death -- and there are enough potential hazarda aboard any ship for something like that to happen.

Norm.