View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Beginner

We were on the Star Princess the week previous to the fire.
We were in B-307 (starboard side) which is a balcony cabin.
We spent an hour or so everyday relaxing on the balcony while in route to other islands. During these times I noticed that the construction of the balconies are primarily metal with some privacy glass. Which appeared fairly fireproof to me.
The deck chairs, tables, and floor mats are a hard plastic that could burn, but it would have to be a damn hot fire to get that plastic to ignite.
There are pads on some of the chairs and many people leave their towels out there to dry. So it may be possible for a cigarette to cause this fire.
As previous posters have stated, everything that is thrown off the upper decks falls onto the balconies below and rarely if ever reaches the water.
The wind from the ship as it moves can stoke a small fire into a big one if there are enough things to burn. If the paint is flammable it could spread the fire fairly quickly.
Additional heat and fire can be generated as the heat and fire shorts out the outside lights over the balconies. So I guess it's not so inconceivable for lone a cigarette to wreak so much damage.
I’ve been a oil worker/fireman for 17 years and I know once a fire gets big enough it can generate enough heat to auto ignite and/or melt just about anything in its path until its is either cooled or runs out of a source of fuel to keep it going.
My job requires endless amounts safety training, so when we first got on the ship and we were compelled to do the muster drill, my first thought was “what a waste of my vacation time?. Now in hindsight that half hour of what I felt was wasted vacation time may have saved many lives that night.