View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

langcar.

An Accellerant from a product/fuel line is a highly unlikely source or contributor of that fire. Considering there are no such lines on the outer bulkhead of these vessels.

Actually, there are fuel lines to the davits for refueling the ship's boats. I'm not sure how they are configured, so I cannot discount the possibility that fuel from one of those lines might have sprayed -- perhaps aided by wind -- onto the balconies where the fire occurred. Of course, the suggestion of this possibility is just speculation on my part so let's all resist the temptation to turn it into a rumor on the GossipNet....

Passenger ships in particular are designed so that these types of lines are routed in pipeway areas within the bulkhead to minimize and contain any environmental spills. And routed for the safety of its passengers and its crew.

Yes, to the extent that such is possible. The fueling stations, both to take on fuel and to refuel the ship's boats, obviously require hull penetrations somewhere.

The only pipes I saw on the outer bulkhead were ordinary drainage pipes.

yes, but you also cannot discount the possibility that an accelerant somehow got into a drain line that ruptured.

These ships primarily use diesel fuel to power their engines and generate electricity. Lubricating oil would be used to maintain the equipment.

Not so fast. The ship's boats typically use MoGas (essentially gasoline). Also, some cruise ships use gas turbines. which run on JP-5, as their prime movers and some marine diesels run on JP-5, partly because it burns cleaner (less emissions and less soot) and partly because it provides a "single fuel" solution for a fleet that also has gas turbines. Of course, these fuels are so volatile that they would evaporate almost immediately if spilled or sprayed.

Generally with this type of fire it will spread away from the point of ignition the way the wind blows and in a natural upward pattern. (as long as there is something to fuel it).

An electrical short should have tripped circut breakers (yes, probably several...), cutting off the current before much of a fire got started, so this also seems unlikely. That said, it still does not answer the question of what fueled the fire and burned so hot that it melted the decks of the balconies. It's not as clear in the photos that I have seen on line as it was in the shots of the affected area on television, but the balconies in the area of the fire are completely gone -- which means that the steel decks either melted or ignited.

It shouldn't be too difficult for the investigators to figure out where it started and what the source of the fire was.
Never the less, some governmental entity that regulates passenger ships will go over every inch of it to assure its origin, and check for any design flaws that could have aided in its spread.

Both the U. S. Coast Guard and British authorities are already onboard, conducting a full investigatin.

Norm.