View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche
If all ships were non-smoking (which, I would guess they will be eventually), there would not be any decrease in cruising, or I miss my bet big time. That's the cry of restaurants when a city passes a non-smoking ordinance, and it hasn't happened yet. Smoking is a dying habit.
Restaurants are a bit different because they don't require the smoker to give up their cigarettes 24 hours a day for days at a time. That's something that most smokers just can't do.

I agree that cruiseships will probably someday be nonsmoking, I just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. According to American Heart Association statistics, 24.1% of men and 19.2% of women still smoke. Hard to believe, but true. What business can afford to give up 20% of their customers? Consider the traveling companions that cruise with the smoker and cruiselines stand to lose alot more than just 20%. The cruiselines are not likely to ban smoking until it makes financial sense for them to do so, which isn't likely to be anytime soon.