View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Norwegian Sun... Got off her 24 hours ago :o)

The Sun is a great ship, well maintained, and the crew is great. Entertainment was so-so, The highlight being the comedian that after 2 shows in a small room, they finally realised they goofed and did another in the largest room.. My wife and I are in our early forties and this was our 9th cruise.. we have been 2 times on RCCL, Carnival and NCL, and 1 time on Princess and Celebrity... We are very much glass 1/2 full , no reason to get upset people and heavily discount anyone that says a cruise or any vacation was horrible.. we love them all. The freestyle dining is nice, and although the ship was full, we never waited more than 10 minutes for a table. You can sit alone or agree to share.. we always shared in the main 2 dining rooms and it was great. We ate at East meets West, Le Bistro, and an Italian one and they were all very good
There is something lost in not being thrown together with strangers and coming out with friends after eating together for several days, but was very nice picking our time based on what was happening that day. Cruising is pretty much the same on all ships, with some variation in food, although other than Celebrity, all the other cruises we have gone on were equal... Not spectacular, but great. Rooms on Sun were comparable to all others. We got a deal in a mini suite, and the room was still quite small, just a big bathroom. Now I will say this... We lean more to RCCL and Carnival, as we like fast action and fun.. The Sun has a disco that is the teen until about 11:00 and then is for over 18.. What we found was 16 year olds dancing until 11:00 and then overun with 18-20 the rest of the night.. The other 2 rooms had a big band, or Karaoke, and a very small Piano bar.. RCCL Voyager had no less than 3 bands at all times, and a seperate teen area, so the adults could go out do their thing. Carnival is big on the same.. If you drink beer, learn to like draft selections early on.. A bottle of beer was over $5 with auto gratuity and the draft glass which was twice as much was $4... Also ask for a regular glass for your frozen drinks as otherwise they put it into NCL glass and charge you xtra $2... Volume is about the same. One last comment, regarding the flow in the buffett... It is easily the worst I have seen. To get water and coffee or tea, you have to fight your way down a narrow aisle that is packed with people in line for the buffett... It was very frustrating for several.... ... we loved the cruise and would go again in a heartbeat.. But if RCCL or Carnival was going the same route, we would probably pick them.
Jim