View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Carnival Legend 7/26 delayed

There are ALL kinds of logistical nightmares involved in these situations. The ultimate decision is whether to inconvenience alot of people in order to save one life!

Sure there are going to be many, many people who are returning on the Legend who will have all sorts of headaches because they've missed flights home. And certainly many who were to be boarding today who came in to NY early, who the cruise line wouldn't have been able to notify, who therefore showed up at the pier... and will be upset with the delay as well.

I'm curious to see if there's going to be returning locals, who are going to want Carnival to pay for the extra 6 or 8 hours worth of parking fees for the parkade they left their car in.

The thinking, which amazes me, is that Carnival should be responsible, and pay, for everyone affected in whatever way. And if anyone thinks, this should be the cost of doing business, and they should have insurance to cover all the eventualities, had best be prepared to pay ALOT more for their cruise vacations to cover those expenses.

In May we were on the Serenade of the Seas, crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver. Their was a medical emergency onboard, and the ship was required to run full speed for 2 1/2 sea days to make a rendezvous with a rescue helicopter off the coast of California. Two helicopters were dispatched, and accompanied by airplanes, because the choppers had to be refuelled in order to get that far out to sea.

Due to the speed necessary to make the rendezvous we had very rough seas, and high winds for those 2 1/2 days. And... you know... I never once heard any passengers complaining about not being able to be out on deck enjoying the sun or scheduled activities that had been cancelled, or having to endure the rough ride.

Everyone seemed to understand a matter of life and death was more important! At a meeting with the Captain and his staff to get the passengers up to date on what was happening, the Captain was in fact applauded for his actions.