View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Admiral

mickym,

First and possibly only trip to Alaska. We are planning Whale Watching with orca enterprises and a trip to Mendenal in Juneau and am thinking the White Pass Railway with maybe the bus back in Skagway. I just really wondered mainly if there was anything that Sitka or IcyStrait Point were especially noted for? We are on a limited budget so have eliminated the helicopter, although I would love that.

Yes.

>> Sitka was the Russian capital of Alaska, so it has several historic sites from that period including the cathedral (now a replica, as the orignal burned down a few decades ago). a team of Russian folk dancers, and, IIRC, the garrison and govenror's residence? There's also the famous raptor center, which provides veterinary care for injured bald eagles and other raptors. I think that most of these attractions are fairly inexpensive or free.

>> At Hoonah ("Icy Strait Point" on many itineraries), the tenders unload passengers at what was the pier of a historic cannery. The tour of the cannery is very intesting, and they have a rather unique way of demonstrating the operation of the canning machinery (which still works). There are also some nature trails and, IIRC, a shuttle into the small town.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.