View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

If last years storms didn't affect Island Village in Ocho Rios, I definitely recommend checking it out. We were there in '05 (Spring). Margaritaville is a "hoot"! Great food, entertainment and free jell-o shots of tequilla at the restaurant - outdoors, on the beach!

Shops are reasonable in prices and people are friendly and accomodating to cruisers in port. Many shops have native hand-made unusual creations that are not unreasonably priced. Many one of a kind items. Most shops are typical tourist-y types, and competitive pricing within each shop. There is a "hair-braiding" hut on the right side of the beach; I had my entire head done there; it took about 2 hours. My braids remained firmly intact for about 6-7 weeks after I returned home! Be warned - if you braid your hair you will expose parts of your scalp that are "virgin". Put sunscreen on exposed scalp back on ship! Also, visit the ice-cream shop at Island Village. It's cheap and the variety of Jamaican native flavors is indescribably delicious! The prices are in Jamaican currency terms - don't be put-off when you pay.....like $752.00 is really $1.90 American money! I almost had a heart attack...until I realized the currency valuation!

Have a wonderful time....it's a colorful place that's fun to experience!

One downside: It took forever to walk from the ship to the Village...wear comfortable shoes - the pier is very l-o-n-n-g!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days