View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Travelbugbitten

Hi,

This may be a little off-topic but here goes. I have never cruised to Canada but don't find it boring. My father was from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and most of my aunts, uncles and cousins from his side of the family live in various cities in Canada (an aunt and uncle in Winnipeg, MB; an uncle in Ottawa, ON; a cousin in eastern Ontario; a cousin in Calgary; several in British Columbia). I love Canada because there are many people there who love me.

Sure, Canada's not the Caribbean, but not many places are. But the country has a lot of history and tradition, and places of unbelievable beauty. For example, the horseshoe of Niagara Falls is actually on the Falls' Canadian side. Vancouver, British Columbia, the northern half of which is located in the middle of a rainforest--yes, they exist in North America, but are not as warm weatherwise--is, in my humble opinion, one of the most beautiful cities on the planet.

My experience is that Canadians are generally pretty friendly. Politically, the country is friendly with the United States, and currently you do not need a passport to get in (just a birth certificate) but that will change in the near future as the US government gets more paranoid about terrorist attacks, for good reason. But you are wanted in Canada.

My last trip to Canada was to visit relatives in Vancouver, BC from September 20 to September 30, 2004. Flying into Seattle's Seattle-Tacoma (Sea-Tac) Airport on the 20th, I'd brought my passport because I knew I'd need it to return home from Canada. My aunt and uncle, who live in Manitoba but who were visiting their daughter for a while, picked me up at the airport and drove me the 185 miles in their Dodge Caravan to Vancouver. When we arrived at the border just south of Surrey, BC, the border guards waved us in without asking for my passport.

Sorry if this was a bit long.

Jim