View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Beginner

After many twists, turns and phone efforts, comes the following (from cruisecritic.com):

Hello everyone. I was out of town today, just got home and read the posts.
I became aware of the issue this afternoon and I probably don't know all the facts YET.

For now let me say this, whatever the facts are, we blew it BIG time!
The company obviously handled this situation wrong, without sensitivity and not very smartly.

My sincere apologies, not just to Seesick and Toranut97, but to all our guests who may now be worried about their upcoming cruises.

This is the first time, that I can recall, having had an oversold problem lead to us having to ask guests to consider alternatives. If indeed our employees tried to involuntarily "move" guests, let me tell you that it was wrong to do so, that this is not our policy, will never be our policy and I will make certain that a repeat never happens again. If we did have an oversold situation, which by the way, I agree should not happen 7 days prior to sail date, we should have asked for volunteers and offered compensation sufficient to motivate some to take the offer. In this manner, it is the guest's decision to take the alternative, not the cruise lines.

In the meantime, I would like to address the rest of my post to Seesick and Toranut 97.

Seesick, I'm happy to learn that the family is going on your planned cruise. I will personally see to it that we add a $500 Shipboard credit to each person's onboard account to spend as they see fit as a small token of our sincere apologies for the stress we put your family through the last 48 hours or so.

Toranut97: I want you on our ships!! If we told you we have your cabin, then go and enjoy the Greek Isles and I will refund you whatever you paid HAL. If HAL later reimburses you, you can keep the windfall as compensation for the stress we put you through. You will also receive a $500 per person Shipboard credit to spend onboard.

Again, my sincerest apologies to all. You have my assurances, that something like this will never happen again.

Goodnight
FDR

--------------
This is from Mr. Del Rio, president of Oceania. We are more than okeased, and expect to make our long awaited trip. Hooray!!! Thanks, supportiuve friends.

Donna