View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Whether you or I or anyone else likes it or not, the vast majority of middle class people do not own true formal wear. I used to have a closet full of ball gowns. Not anymore, and they wouldn't fit in the cabin closets even if I did. I do have plenty of suitable attire, but trust me when I say that, at my age, I would look downright silly in a prom dress. Haven't been a bridesmaid in decades, either.

That's true, as far as it goes -- but a lot of middle class and even upper middle class people no longer own business suits, either, because many professional workplaces now have a "busienss casual" dress standard. In my workplace, for example, we wear golf shirts or sport shirts and slacks unless we have a meeting scheduled in advance -- and that's pretty standard across the industry. Thirty years ago, there were hardly any dinner jackets on cruise ships because all the men owned, and thus wore, dark business suits. Times have changed, though, and men who don't own business suits rent rent tuxedos or dinner jackets for their first few cruises (and later buy furomalwear when they realize that they are hooked on cruising) -- especially on the more "upscale" lines like Celebrity. The result is that we now se about a 50-50 split, on average, between "black tie" outfits and business suits on lines like Celebrity.

Likewise, for ladies, the standards have changed so traditional evening gowns are not necessary. A long dress or a formal cocktail dress, for example, is well within the guidelines of even the dressiest lines, like Celbrity.

Rather than trying to scare people into choosing a more casual line...

Im not trying to scare anybody. Rather, I'm trying to help people to make choices with which they will be comfortable. The daily programs distributed aboard Celebrity's ships now say that the prescribed evening attire is "required" -- Celebrity's emphasis -- and some ships are enforcing it very strictly in the theater as well as in the dining room. I don't have a problem with people who don't want to dress properly for formal evenings, but it's pretty clear that Celebrity would be a poor choice of cruise line for such individuals.

... I would like to suggest that you would be more comfortable going with one of the high end, luxury lines. I think that you would find that more to your liking.

If you are paying the bill, I'll gladly try either Crystal or Silversea. If I'm paying the bill, I don't see how it can be woth the difference. Celebrty has a very solid -- and very upscale -- product.

But, we are mostly talking about the mid-range lines here and the cruise lines have made it very apparent that they are not going to turn people off by putting down their formal attire.

Some lines are more "mid-range" than others. Celebrty and Carnival, for example, are not exactly competing "head to head" for the same group of passengers.

I miss a lot of elements of old style cruising, but it's still the best vacation on earth. I am pleased that more and more people are able to enjoy what I think is a wonderful experience. And everyone has a right to enjoy their vacations without being worried that they will be put down and criticized just because they don't own a tux or prom dress. I welcome the diversity of people in life and, to me, cruises are a great way to really enjoy that.

I agree completely -- which is exactly why I advocate diversity in the industry.

Norm.