View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Norm,
I agree that Celebrity and Carnival are different, but I have concerns that some posts suggest that they are and that true formal wear is a necessity. You said you are merely trying to get people to make choices that will make them more comfortable. I think that the folks who are least likely to conform to the dress code really aren't the slightest bit uncomfortable. They don't care and I don't think that anyone will ever be able to change them. They are not going to change cruise lines or dress.

My concern is for all of the truly nice people who simply don't own formal wear. Now, I live in Florida, which is so hot and has so many tourists that you can go almost anywhere dressed extremely casually. I'm not applauding that, but the unspoken dress code here is different than it is up north.

I LOVE getting "gussied up", as we used to call it, but here it is hard to even find dressy clothes. Yes, Macy's and some of the more expensive stores carry them, but I don't agree with trying to force people to spend money on clothes they may not wear again, especially when they may have spent months or even years saving up for their cruise. Even renting formal wear isn't cheap.

Re. weddings, company parties, etc., the same thing applies. Dress is more casual. And while I retired from corporate life before business casual became the norm, I never felt that I needed to use business attire on vacation. In fact, I wanted to get really far away from it! :o Of course, being female, I would not have looked very formal in my business suit, anyway.

No, I'm not buying to send you on a high end cruise, but you seem to think it is "proper" to ask other people to spend money on clothes that you think are appropriate. I've got a problem with that.
Marty