View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Admiral

Marty,

My comment about letting us ladies choose our own underwear was intended as a bit of a joke!

Okay, then suit yourself!

Afraid we will have to just agree to disagree about formal nights, though. I will never see any reason to even suggest that people go with specific cruise lines based purely on how fancy their clothing is.

It's really quite simple. If you don't want to dress for formal evenings, why book on a cruise line that runs formal evenings and tht expects passengers to wear proper attire throughout the ship when there are other options available in all segments of the market?

I was a tad disturbed ay your comment about "what social class one is born into".

What can I say? I'm not going to retract the comment.

I grew up with handkerchiefs and extensive rules of social etiquette and I am glad to see most of that go by the roadside.

It actually has NOT gone by the roadside. There are major segments of our society that still observe proper social etiquette very strictly.

For example, all cruise lines get cutlery wrong. I'll only do details if asked, but it is true.

1. Have you actually travelled on ALL of the cruise lines, or is there a possibility that a cruise line on which you have not yet travelled actually might get it right?

2. I'm listening. What faux pas have you seen?

More important (to me), I feel that I would miss out on meeting some wonderful people if I only chose to associate with (as in cruise with) those of my "social class".

I'm not necessarily advocating that you should confine your cruising to one line, but I am saying that you should conform to the standards of the line on which you are cruising or, alternatively, not book a cruise on a line if you do not want to conform to its standards. Wearing a tuxedo to dinner on a Windjammer Barefoot Cruise would be just as inappropriate as wearing shorts and a "T" shirt to dinner on a Cunard cruise.

Norm.