View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Janmd,

As we have been saying- the cruise business is pushing these ships to be ready when they really aren't.
They need to take their time. As with the shake down- the ac should have been addressed, the ref. also.
This is one issued with the mechanical issues that should have been taken care of when the ship was doing the sea trials.

The ship is on her fourth nine night cruise, after crossing the Atlantic without passengers, so she has been operating for a couple months. She is well past the point where a problem would have surfaced during sea trials.

It's also not at all clear that operator error is not the ultimate cause of this incident. It's possible that somebody bumped a control dial and it's also possible that somebody entered the wrong value for rudder angle when programming the autopilot unit for this leg of the voyage.

It seems like since Princess was taken over by Carnival there have been problems.

Carnival Corporation had a slew of serious incidents in the 2001-2004 time frame of the types that inadequate maintenance and inattention to safety and sanitation would cause. Having seen clear evidence of neglected maintenance on that company's vessels during ports of call, I decided to stop cruising with Princess when the shareholders of the parent company, Carnival Plc. (formerly known as P&O Princess Plc.), voted to merge operaitons with Carnival Corp. I also posted the fact that I had decided to switch to Cebrity for this reason on this board at the time. I also noted, at the time, that it takes a while for deficient maintenance to take its toll, so I figured that it would take perhaps a couple years for such incidents to start to occur on Princess. I have not heard of many recent incidents on Carnival Corporation's other lines in the last two years or so, but I'm not sure whether that's because the company solved the problems or because the press stopped reporting the incidents.

In any case, I have no regrets after seven cruises with Celbrity, tut your choice....

Norm.