View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
In any case, my curiosity would like to know (1) the speed of the ship at the time of the incident, (2) the rudder angle applied during the turn, and (3) the amount of heel that occurred. If you see this information anywhere, please post it.

Norm.
My curiousity is about this... and I am probably saying something stupid, but I am admittedly not a yachtsman....

the ship listed to port (which means it leaned toward the left when facing forward, correct? That would imply they were making a right right turn, right?, since a ship will tend to list away from the angle of the turn (correct me if I am wrong) - they are not like bicycles where they lean into the turn, the bouyancy tends to make the top of ship lean away from the angle of the turn.

Am I wrong or crazy? Or were they turning the wrong direction to get to NY City?

Actually, after much research I did that there uis something in ship handling called a "kick" which is: Momentary movement, at the start of a turn, of the ship’s stern toward the side opposite the direction of the turn .

So, was the listing (which they said was part of a turn), due to the kick? and if so, weren't they turning the wrong way?

I also agree with the post above - if a computer senses a ship at such a degree of list, something should kick in to turn that off immediately. In fact, such a thing should not ever be allowed to be programmed into an autopilot, and should only be able to be done manually (say, if an iceberg is spotted).