View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Ran43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Just returned from the western itinerary on the Glory. The Glory is a great ship, it was clean and the staff were friendly and efficient. However, I have also sailed on the Valor and much prefer the decor on the Valor and the energy on the Valor was not represented on the Glory and, for some reason, although the menu choices were exactly the same, the food on the Valor was much better. The best thing about sailing on the Glory was the Cruise Director, Wee Jimmy. As far as itinerary is concerned, I would never book the western itinerary again, I hated it. Out of four stops, three were in Mexico and the fourth was in Nassau where I have been numerous times. Cozumel has lost its luster after the terrible hurricanes last year devastated it, the pier is still under construction and the lush foliage is no longer there, just dead trees. The residents are trying real hard to get things back to normal but they have a long way to go. We were able to dock at the reconstructed part of the pier but there was another ship anchored off-shore that tendered people in. Belize is the nastiest place I've ever been to, even worse than Roatan, very third world and deplorable living conditions, horrible roads, and pushy vendors. We took a shore excursion to Altun Ha over a poorly paved, single lane road which was the bumpiest road I've ever been on, we couldn't wait to get back to the ship. Seeing the Mayan ruins were not enough to calm my dread of the ride back to the port. And, I do not understand why people love Costa Maya, there is nothing there, a few shops at the end of the pier with irritating shop owners badgering you as you walk past their kiosks. We took a taxi to Majahual where there are more annoying vendors with strawmarket-type shops that you have to walk past to reach the beach area, we stayed 5 minutes then returned to the safety of the ship. I agree with UConn1, I much prefer the eastern Caribbean itinerary, St. Thomas and St. Maarten are gorgeous, great shopping, friendly people, beautiful beaches, clean, good restaurants, etc.
Belize is not part of mexico...its Belize