View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

gambitscuba,

1 year ago.. on a cruise that i was on with my highschool band... one of the girls from my school was sexually assaulted by a crew member... she was underage... and the cruise line was less than polite to her and her sorrows, she still cannot get through the story, she was sent to therapy... and guess what.. it happens... im not coming out of left field with it...

I'm very sorry to hear of this incident, and I can see why it has raised your awareness.

These incidents are devastating. Unfortunately, they happen with far greater frequency ashore. The story of Molly Bish, for example, is far from an isolated incident. She was a high school student who worked as a lifeguard at a local swimming area at a lake. One day, she was abducted from her post. A couple years later, investigators found her remains, with pieces of her swimsuit, in a wooded area a few miles from the lake. Samples taken from the remains proved that her assailant raped her before killing her. Unfortunately, rapes of young women happen ashore with such frequency that most never make the news. This one did.

There's no substitute for being vigilant, being aware of your surroundings at all times, and knowing how to get help if you need it, regardless of where you are. I hope that you are as cautious and as vigilant at home as you are aboard ship because the danger actually is even greater. The "buddy system" -- avoid going out alone -- is also a good idea when you are in unfamiliar territory.

I also hope that you will encourage other young people to be equally vigilant and aware of their surroundings so that they also will not fall victim.

Norm.