Thread: DRESS CODE
View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Janet H,

Am I correct to assume that the dining room is dressy, but the Windjammer is less dressy? Not to big on getting all dressed up while on vaca.......but a sundress or nice slacks I'll do. What do guys wear to the dining room? And is shorts ok for girls and guys in the Windjammer?

On a seven night cruise, most lines now have two "formal" evenings (the Captain's formal "welcome aboard" and the Captain's formal "farewell") and five "casual" evenings. They may use various modifiers ("smart casual," "resort casual," etc.) to describe the dress that's expected on the "casual" evenings, but it usually boils down to no "T" shirts, shorts, or bluejeans. Gents wear a shirt with a collar (polo shirt, golf shirt, "Hawai'ian" shirt, or sport shirt) with slacks or khakis (Dockers, etc.). Ladies usually wear either a sundress or a top with a skirt or slacks.

The "formal" evenings are a really special time when the cruise line literally pulls out all the stops in the main dining rooms, stages the best shows, and holds special events that make the cruise a unique and very memorable vacation experience. The better cruise lines maintain a modified 'black tie" standard of dress on these evenings, with gentlemen wearing either a dinner jacket outfit (or tuxedo) or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit and ladies wearing full length dresses or formal cocktail dresses. Many cruise lines explicitly state that the prescribed evening dress applies throughout the ship, except for the alternative casual dining area, on the "formal" evenings, so you may well find that your entertainment options are extremely limited if you don't participate in the "formal" evenings.

I should also mention that you probably will receive a formal invitation to a reception from the master of the vessel on one or both of the "formal" evenings. It's a major breach of social etiquette to decline an invitation from the master of a vessel while embarked therein. In fact, it's one of the few occasions when social etiquette demands that one withdraw a previous acceptance of another invitation.

Norm.