View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM

I agree with you and that was pretty much what I said but a lot shorter.

Yes, I just thought that it was important to clarify a few details becasue I see the chronic references to shops "going into drydock" that indicate a lack of understanding and I know that you are not the only person who reads these threads.

BTW, as Enginering Officer of the Watch, I once caused a shipyard to stop flooding a drydock and start pumping it out again. The shipyard had replaced the main shaft seals (which wrap around the shafts where the shafts come through the hull), and a quarter-sized stream of water started flowing into the shaft alley when the water got up to the shafts. The shipyard got to do that job over! Fortunately, the shipyard got it right no the second try.

The only reason I mentioned what I did is many people on this and other boards are under the impression that when a ship goes into drydock they redo the whole ship. Look at all the threads on refurbishment of the ships. Posters are thrilled that the ship is going into drydock before their cruise and expect everything new on the ship.

That's basically true, and the major cruise lines are refurbishing ships continously. They can do a lot of refurbishment even while the ship is operating. OTOH, there's also the reality that routine drydocking tends to occur during major yard visits because the cruise lines want to drydock ships as infreuqntly as possible, consistent with proper maintenance, due to the cost involved in getting a ship into and out of a drydock and thus will do as much maintenance as possible whenever the ship does go into drydock. Thus, yard visits for drydocking usually are long enough to do everything that needs doing while the ship is in the yards. OTOH, they tend not to do work that does not need to be done immediately and that can easily be done while the ship is underway or that can wait for the next regular yard visit to avoid the cost of replacing things prematurely. The emergency drydockings of the four vessels of the Millennium class for repairs to the Azipod units, which seem to occur about annually, are a complete aberration, but Celebrity probably uses those opportunities to refurbish anything that might be showing premature wear.

That said, the yard visit of MV Century earlier this year involved far more than normal routine refurbishment. During this visit, the shipyard did major modifications to the ship's design including construction of new balconies and several new cabins, installation of a "duck tail" on the aft end of the hull to provide additional bouyancy, installation of a speicalty restuarant in what was a portion of the plaza at the bottom of the atrium, and reconfiguration of several facilities to bring the ship up to the standards of the line's newer classes of vessels.

I just don't want people to be disappointed and would rather be honest.

Agreed, and the best counter to distortion is always fact.