View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to H.B.
Default Re: What to do in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefreedom
We've already done Paradise Beach in Cozumel and Sting Rays in Grand Cayman. What excursions (or things on your own) would you suggest for us (family of 4 with teenage sons). A "tour" of the city or shopping will not impress the guys. Thinking more along the lines of snorkeling or a great beach. All advice is greatly appreciated!!
I went on a quick cruise last April that went to Cozumel and we booked a snorkel excursion. I was not aware that a hurricane (I cant remember which one, I think it might have been Rita) that hit Mexico did some pretty serious damage to Cozumel. One of the biggest things that goe damaged was the coral reefs. Where we went snorkeling, there was no coral and very few fish around, just lots of sand. The crew saling the catamarin that we went on told us it would take many years for the coral to reform. I guess either they took us to the wrong spot or they were telling us the truth that the damage was to all the reef. If you can, try to do some resurch about this before booking any snorkel trip. The second part of our excursion was to a beach which was beautiful. I dont know if the pier is rebuilt yet , but at this time we had to tender in due to the piers storm damage. Having said all this, I still loved Cozumel. If the excursion to Excaret (Im not sure of the proper spelling) is listed, we went several years ago and our family loved it. We were not on a cruise that trip, we were staying in Cancun, and we decided that we loved Excaret so much that we went back for a second day. There is a ton to do there. They have a lagoon for snorkeling that was as beautiful as some of the snorkeling in Hawaii. They have an underwater river to snorkel and swim in (part of it is in the dark which was a little scarry for me--I guess I have seen too many movies. We also did a dolphin swim that we did and LOVED. There is a nice calm beach by a lagoon that you can swim and sun on while they come around and take orders for drinks (always a plus). There are several other things to do--horseback riding, shopping, Myan ruins etc. As you can tell we really loved it there. I highly recommend it. I hope you have a great time!