Thread: Passport Issue
View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Passenger

Kitty,

Your now on the right track to seeing the confussion with the passport issue. After Jan 8 2007 if you re-enter the US through the air you will be required to show a valid passport.

A prime example will be Vancouver BC. Let's say you take a Alaska cruise that leaves out of Vancouver, now this is new to me as I haven't done this so bear with me, you fly into Vancouver with your ship tags already on your luggage. If you do not leave the international terminal area and proceed direct to your transfer bus to the ship you won't have to pass thru Canadaian customs. You do the return to Vancouver and fly back to the states upon your arrival back into the US you WILL have to show your passport to re-enter as your flight began outside of the US.

Were you to fly into Sea-Tac and travel in a bus to the ship do the turn around, bus back to Sea-Tac fly back home you will not need a passport.
The pass card that your refering to is not good for air travel. Herein lies the confussion......

Yes it will help those who live close to the boarders but then it just becomes a money issue. How long will a pass card be good for? How much will it cost? What do you have to do to obtain one? These are all issues yet to be decided. I for one am glad that I don't have to deal with it cause I would have a bunch of folks mad at me, cause I would have stuck to the first dead line and let the chips fall where they may.........