View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I will be writing about Silversea and more, soon, but this thread is just about my voyage.

On our last day in Egypt we went and visited the Valley of the Kings, which is across the river from Karnak and Luxor. They have a few of the tombs open all the time, and some of the other tombs they open for a year at a time on a rotating basis so they can stay sealed most of the time and not deteriorate.

We saw the tombs of Rameses II and Tutahnkhamen, among others. The truth is, it is very hard to remember all of the Phaorah's names and their history, but just seeing the tombs is fascinating for their detail.

The Valley of the Kings is on the West side of the Nile, because they believed the the East side represented life because the sun was born there every day, and the West side represented the afterlife becauswe that is where the sun set every night. So they were buried where the sun set, in hopes of being reborn like the sun.

They "worshipped" the scarab symbolically (as a symbol of the one God) because it created a ball (a sac of eggs) and moved it out of its hole. From this ball new scarabs were born, and the creator of it died.

The Egyptians were not pagan, they believed in one God, but they had many symbols to represent the attributes of this one god, such as the scarab (rebirth), and the eye of the hawk (Horus, ever-seeing because it never closed even when asleep).

There are so many temples and tombs in this part of Egypt. And I had seen Rome and Greece before, but this is older and so much more detail, and so much earlier in history. The Egyptian ruins are nearly twice as old as those in Rome. Remarkable.

I have added many new photos to the photo gallery for the Valley of the Kings