View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Admiral

msblackjack,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
are you as a tablemate offended when your other tablemates leave before everyone is done with desert, coffee, etc....

I have a hard time sitting through an entire elaborate dinner, but I love the dining room food, I often leave early, it is I just have to get up and do something, a little adult ADD going on. It has occurred to me that some folks might get offended, I always request a table for me and my traveling companions only, but sometimes, depending on the size of our group we get seated with other people. I always warn them on the first night, that they should not take any offense, but I generally do not sit through the entire meal, especially desert and coffee, I usually go up to the buffett a little later and get desert and coffee and go up to the outdoor deck and watch the stars, sea, etc. some of my family members stay for the entire thing, it isn't like the whole group leaves, usually just me and my significant other.
The norms of etiquette indicate that one ordinarily should stay at the table until the end of the meal. Nonetheless, there are situations in which we all sometimes have to excuse ourselves from the table before coffee or tea and dessert -- perhaps because the ship scheduled an event a little too early for second seating or because a medical condition flared up that requires immediate attention.

That said, I have to confess that I'm more than a little skeptical whenever I hear someone say that somebody has "Attention Deficit Disorder" (ADD) because I have seen too many instances in which this diagnosis became a convenient way to avoid addressing a matter of very serious dysfunction in a family or in a person's life. Thus, my instinct is to wonder whether perhaps more exposure to social situations ashore might help to ease your discomfort at dinner on a cruise ship -- and perhaps that is unfair to you. If so, I ask your forgiveness. In any case, I hope that you can get the right treatment for your situation so you won't be in the awkward position of having to excuse yourself from the table before the end of the meal, as a matter of normal routine, for much longer.

Norm.