View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Floridanamaw,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I thought I would go ahead and apply for a passport now so that when we do decide to go cruising again I would have it. One of the fields to fill in is your travel plans. What if you don't have travel plans at this time? Can't we get a passport for future use?
Sure -- and it's very prudent to do so! If you don't have firm plans, just just put someplace close, like "Bahamas" (or "Canada" or "Mexico" or "Bermuda" for those who live closer to these destinations) and a date four or five months out. If you want, you can indicate "(Tentative)" after it. If any official ever asks, just say that you changed your plans after you applied for the passport.

And for those who don't know, it's a very good idea to start the passport process as early as possible -- especially if you have never obtained a passport before. When my mother applied for her first passport, an irregularity in her birth record came to light. Apparently the delivering physician failed to submit the birth report to the town clerk, so the birth did not get recorded right way. The omission surfaced when she was a teenager, and her neighbors had to submit affidavits as to the date of her birth so that the clerk could make a record. When she applief for a passport for the first time, over fifty years later, teh passport office required additional documentation in the form of (1) her bapismal record (or something equivalent) showing a date shortly after her birth and (2) the page from the first federal census after her birth showing her name. She received a letter from the passport office stating that she needed to obtain and submit this information, so she had to write to the U. S. Census Bureau to obtain the census record, await its return, and then submit it to the passport office with her baptismal certificate (easily obtained, since she was local). The requirement for additional documentation added about two or three months onto the usual process before her passport arrived. The fact that such situaitons are rare is little consolation if you don't get your passport in time for a cruise because of such a situaiton. Passport renewals are much easier because the old passport is the only documentation required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
One more question. What if you just don't know an answer, like where an ex spouse was born. I can guess, but may not be correct. What do you do in that case?
If you don't know the answer to a question, make a reasonable effort to obtain it. If that fails, write "(Unknown)" in the place in the form.

That said, I don't understand why the passport application would ask the birthplace of a former spouse, or any other question to which you would not know the answer.

Norm.