View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
I know how you feel about the solo traveling, but disagree about the charges being per cabin. When we stay at a hotel or resort we tip the housekeeper per person, not a flat amount. the more in a room or cabin, the more mess usually. NMNita
Of course, if you have a couple of kids traveling with you, and they are particularly messy ... and you don't care to pick up after them ... then, yes ... I would imagine that cabin would take him an inordinately longer amount of time to tidy up each day. But if you have reasonably neat adults in the cabin ... then I really doubt it takes the cabin steward any longer to clean up after three than it does two. Of course, he will have a day bed to make up in that case, and maybe a few extra towels to replace, but that's about it. I know it doesn't take him any less time to make up the single's cabin that it does the couple ... and there he is getting cheated out of the extra $3.50 or whatever a person the auto-tip provides for cabin service. I guess I just feel bad about that and think it would be much more fair to access the auto-tip on two per cabin in that case.

Of course, auto-tips can be removed or lessened ... so if a particular single really had a problem with this, they could just adjust it back down at the front desk. But, looking ahead to the day when auto-tips will be called a service charge or "resort fee," I think a minimum charge of $20 per day per cabin would be a bit more fair.

And, believe me ... I see this day coming. I think HAL is already beginning to call their auto-tip a service charge. It won't be long now before it will be just like it is on NCL ... non-removable.

Blue skies ...

--rita
I think many lines are leaning that way. As for NCL, it is removable on NCL, not NCLA. Of ocurse to remove it takes an act on congress. NCL also only suggest $5 a day for kids under 13. NMNnita