View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
iprefer the old days of cruising where you gave your dining room waiters an envelope and thanked them for a job well done and this was by far more personable than what is happening today.It would be my guess that when Holland did not require tipping that most folks who were previous cruisers made a real effort to reward the excellent service provided by an outstanding staff.Those who stiffed the waiters on the last nite by not showing up for dinner do the same type thing in shore restaurants and are only on the cruise because of some last minute deal and believe me I have seen this type having cruised since the 50,s out of Miami.
Remember what HAL used to do, though? On the last night of the cruise, they closed down all of the alternative dining venues (including room service) so that people were forced to go to the dining room if they wanted to eat.

So, if HAL had to do this, I would also assume that there were plenty of people who would stiff their dining room stewards given the chance. HAL was just not giving them the chance.

So I do understand why HAL went to the auto-tip. True, you could still remove it, but now you have to go to the purser's desk and explain to them why you are removing it. I would imagine the thought of the embarrassment alone would stop a lot of people from doing this.

At some point in the future I would not be surprised if the "auto tip" turned into a "service charge," or "resort fee" and became a non-removable (or reduceable) charge.

Unfortunately, it's just a commentary on the kind of society we live in today. People will find a great deal that will let them get onto a cruise ship, but they won't even think to budget for tips once there. Give them the chance, and they will simply stiff the service providers.

Blue skies ...

--rita