View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Interesting article Meig, after digging a little deeper, I found that for food service workers with wet or animal fat on their hands, sanitizers are ineffective. Only proper hand washing with plenty of soap and warm water will kill and remove the germs and bacteria. But for dry hands that are not visibly soiled, hand sanitizers are 99.99% effective at killing common germs.

Being in the fire service, we have used hand sanitizer for years. A year ago we installed the same hand sanitizers used in the cruise industry at each entrance to our living quarters. I hope RCI maintains the practice of installing these throughout all of their ships to curb the spread of bacteria and germs. It's the right thing to do.

In the meantime, every passenger needs to take extra precaution by frequently washing their hands, using the hand sanitizers before eating anything, and after using the stair railings, door handles, or shaking hands. It's also a good idea to bring sanitizing wipes for a quick wipe down of TV remote, phone, knobs and handles in your cabin upon boarding. Even though the cabin stewards do an excellent job of cleaning and sanitizing, it's good to do.