View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Do it yourself shore excursions?

Never bothered me, but then I'm a 6' guy, a pretty savy 20 year cruise veteran, and walk around ports like I know exactly where I am going (I research them well before I go). That said when taking my 11 year old kiddo (himself a savy 11 year cruise veteran) I am very cautious in many places, Jamaica being at the top of the list, Grand Cayman at the bottom. Skip wearing jewelery and stick to very tourist travelled areas where police are generally about. Go in a group with other couples. Get recommendations from folks who have been there before and use your intuition. Also don't be stupid and get drunk in foreign ports, ala that student in relatively safe Aruba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy0815
We read that the criminality rate in the Caribbean is very high.... so we're not sure if it's that clever to walk around alone...?

Any suggestions?
Thank you
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas