View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Pat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I had never heard of this ship or cruise line before the accident. Several of the students were from Boca Raton, Florida, close to where I live, and I could not help wondering why they traveled so far to take a cruise on such a little known ship when there are so many to choose from these days. I suppose it was the price of the tickets.
Actually, both Louis Cruise Lines and MV Sea Diamond are listed in the 2007 edition of the Berlitz Guide to Cruising. That guide says that the ship was originally entered service as the cruise ferry MV Birka Princess for Birka Lines. A sister vessel that was under construction by Valmet (in Finland) when the shipyard went bankrupt was subsequently completed as MV Royal Majesty of Royal Majesty Cruises and became MV Norwegian Majesty when Norwegian Cruise Line acquired Majesty Cruises.

Louis Cruise Lines purchased MV Birka Princess in 2006 and did a major conversion to make her into a strictly passenger vessel. While she does not rise to the standards of the ships operated by the major lines marketed in North America, she does have exensive shops, bars, lounges, a childrens' center, and a spa. Louis Cruises marketed her primarily in Europe, so the on-board currency was the Euro.

Norm.