Just got back from Interior Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess. This was my first cruise and I learned a lot about the ins and outs of cruising through the experience and talking to my fellow travellers.
1. Watch your liquor intake: $4.50 for a small glass of wine plus 15%.
2. Read your summary of charges at the end of your cruise or better yet visit the Pursor's desk and review during the cruise. I can tell you it will be a reality check.
3. Very annoying: The crew is constantly pushing you to spend extra money. Especially at the Lotus Spa.
4. REMEMBER: Every time you purchase something on board they tack on 15%. And also remember they are charging you $10 a day for gratuity on top of that 15%
5. There is no bottled water on board. I did find some bottled water at the ports though.
6. This ship is definitely not as luxurious, spacious or as fancy as I imagined. It's about as fancy as a mid-rate hotel.
7. Unless you need something quick to eat or you're starving stay out of the Horizon buffet. GROSS. The way some people behaved in that room you'd think it was their last meal. However, it is the only place you can get coffee (other than room service) before the dining room opens at 8am. Go with the dining room meals.
8. When your excersion instructions say dress in layers they mean it. It is very rainy in that part of Alaska. Take a good jacket, gloves and a hat. I know, t will be warmer during the summer months, but don't say I didn't warn you.
9. There are no clocks in your room.
10. They provide cell service, so you can recieve and make calls, but you will not be able to access your messages. Use your paging function.
11. If you're a soda drinker you can purchase a refilable container for $7.50 + 15% a day.
That's all I can think of right now.