View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Familiar Face

I understand how a cruiseline can shut off a person's card for alcohol abuse, but how can they police an entire ship and stop people from buying drinks for other passengers. What about the innoncent purchase of a man getting a drink for both him and his wife, or folks traveling together and only one goes to the bar for drinks for everybody? Happens all the time at bars on land, so why should at sea be any different. But, for some reason people pack their luggage and get on a ship but leave the most important thing on shore -- they've forgotten to pack common sense. It's a boat, yes a very large boat, but it's a boat that's on water, very deep water. So why would you hang over a railing (I guess they're like the people who lean over the edge at the Grand Canyon for that one great photo and end up falling in). Just because people are on vacation doesn't mean they should forget about personal safety. There's no need for a designated driver, so people tend to over indulge. Similar to IBCruzin (sorry IBC but after reading your posts I just had to look at your profile and see if you're in the legal field), I see lawsuits like this all the time (years back I was at a firm that represented one of the major cruiselines). The strangest ones I remember are: a man ran and jumped on a moving treadmill and sued the cruiseline because he fell; a very drunk woman in a lounge tripped over a very large speaker that she didn't see because she was very drunk and sued the cruiseline for having the speaker there; a very drunk woman was getting off a tender after a shore excursion and sued the cruiseline because she fell from being very drunk. Sad fact is that anybody can sue any entity for anything and the cruiselines will make nuisance settlement just to make it go away.