View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
The television you buy at the store has the employee's wages built in too.

So when you go into the restaurant and buy a $10 dinner the wages are not built in. If tipping were not the custom that dinner would be $12 for the other $2 to go into the server's salary. Get a grip on reality people, you always pay for the salary, in one form or another.
The owner of that store has to keep that television competitively priced ... or else, I'll go buy it somewhere else. You, as a restaurant owner will have to keep your prices in line with similar establishments, or else your employees will have no customers to serve.

If the price of service is included in the price of my television set, and that television set is priced at a point where I consider it a good deal and will buy it ... without even imagining greasing the palm of the salesperson with extra dollars ... then why not the same for a restaurant? Why should I be told that 20% of the price of my meal is an "appropriate" tip? If I wanted to hand the waiter $5 for a $40 meal, shouldn't that amount be graciously accepted as something ABOVE and BEYOND what I am obligated to pay?

I'm sorry ... I don't argue with you that waiting tables is hard work. I did it for only one summer at a resort area ... and I was still a teenager then. I remember coming home to the cottage we were staying at ... absolutely exhausted after a six-hour shift. The place I worked at was a breakfast dive ... busy but not fancy ... and if I brought home $25 in tips for that six-hour shift, I did good. But I could never understand why my salary for the week was only about $45 ... in cash ... in a pay envelope. Why wasn't my employer paying me a bit more for the work I was doing for him? After all, that work was not all serving customers. Sometimes I had to do side work too ... like cleaning the coffee urns after we closed for the breakfast shift, or cleaning and setting some tables so that everything would be ready when the restaurant opened for the dinner service. Where was my adequate pay for that work? I surely didn't get any tips from the owner for cleaning those urns extra well.

True, your employees break their backs. No argument there. The job is back breaking. But then, don't you think that perhaps YOU should be the one rewarding them and not me? After all, I'm the one paying for the meal at your restaurant. If I don't come in, you don't stay in business, right? I pay you when I buy a meal that clearly has a profit margin for your restaurant built into its price. Thus, it would seem to me that you should be the one primary in taking care of those in your employ. My tips should be nothing more than gravy for them.

Blue skies ...

--rita