View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Specific Clothing question for Alaska

nujdawg,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We're going on the NCL Pearl in 3 weeks.

After reading through the forums on what to pack, I have repeatedly since "bring layers, layers, layers..." So I got that part.

Here's what I'm not sure about. What should my "heaviest" layer be that I bring? Should I bring a full winter jacket? Or should I bring more of a spring jacket with a sweater underneath? I wasn't sure what my heaviest jacket was that I should bring.

Thanks
If your ship is going into glacier areas, you will certainly appreciate a winter jacket, a warm hat, and gloves or mittens if you decide to go out on deck to view the glaciers and the wildlife in those areas. The constant calving of the glaciers is sufficient to ensure that the bays and fjords that have them are full of ice water, which always has a temperature of 32 F (0 C). The air above them tends to be only slightly warmer -- upper 30's F (lower single digits C). Of course, you'll want the same winterwear if you are doing a helicopter excursion that lands on a glacier.

Outside of glacier areas, a sweater or sweatshirt and a waterproof jacket are generally sufficient. Ketchikan is one of the wettest cities in North America, with over 250 days of rain per year IIRC, so your odds of not encountering rain there are pretty slim.

And around Skagway, Anchorage, and Fairbanks, you are likely to encounter clear skies and sunshine with daytime temperatures in the upper 70's to lower 80's F (upper 20's C), so you'll be in shirtsleeves.

Norm.